Debate: Is the US a world leading country?
Argument 1: The US is not a world leading country
- The United States is severely in debt to many countries such as China and therefore must rely on the help of other countries to thrive economically
- The USA is viewed negatively by many countries for its perceived rude culture, involvement in unpopular wars and lack of interest in becoming involved in serious human rights issues in other countries such as the Sudan, Tibet, Libya and Burma.
- The US outsources for many products and jobs such as oil, technology, cheap materials and cheap labor.
- While the US is a "world power" it is not using its power to influence the rest of the world positively.
- The US struggles to unite under one leader and they do not have a spiritual leader.
- many countries fear the US, this does not make it a leading country
- Most of the world's population does not live in the US
- every country is different, therefore the US is not able to influence or govern the rest of the world.
- Many Americans do not have jobs
- many Americans are not politically active and therefore the country is unable to unite as a leader
Argument 2: The US is a world leading country
- The US is one of the wealthiest countries economically in the world
- The US is one of the most developed countries in the world with a high standard of living
- The United States lives with a very free government and the ability to make change if change is needed
- American society is based on a strong work ethic and the need to be successful
- The US has one of the strongest higher education systems in the world and every child is required to be educated
- The US has a strong military and many powerful weapons other countries do not have access to
- The US is a leader in science, medicine and engineering
- Socially, the US has a huge influence over the world's media, dress, language and other aspects of popular culture
- The US is a top immigration destination
- The US is very culturally diverse